Probate is the legal process by which property owned by a deceased person is distributed to his or her heirs after death. Those assets are distributed according to a will if the decedent left one or the laws of intestacy if the decedent passed away without a will. Each and every probate estate is unique, but most have the following steps in common:
- The filing of a petition with the probate court to appoint Executor or Administrator for the estate .
- Notice to beneficiaries under the Will and/or heirs at law.
- Inventory and appraisal of estate assets by Executor or Administrator.
- Payment of estates debts and monies owed to creditors.
- Sale of estate assets if required.
- Payment of estate taxes, if applicable.
- Final distribution of assets to beneficiaries or heirs.
The probate laws of Rhode Island are numerous and complex. The Law Office of Joseph Tudino will guide you through the probate process efficiently and quickly.
Trust administration is the process by which property held in the trust of a deceased person is managed and ultimately distributed to his or her named beneficiaries after death. Many steps are required to effectively administer a trust. While a trust may eliminate the need for any court supervision, it can also result in liability for the Trustee if not handled correctly. The Law office of Joseph Tudino can help Trustees facilitate the process while avoiding fiduciary liability.